Bromances are extremely common in literature and the media, often with considerable homoerotic subtext involved, up to and including all out declarations of love. Other characters may frequently assume the pair is gay.
Examples of famous relationships often described as bromances include:
- Captain Kirk and Spock ("I am, and always have been, your friend.")
- David and Jonathan ("Greatly beloved were you to me; your love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.")
- Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes ("I'm with you to the end of the line.")
- Dean Winchester and Castiel ("Cas, not for nothing, but the last time someone looked at me like that...I got laid.")
Fans may choose to interpret the relationship as an actual homosexual romance, and it is common for bromance-type couples to be extremely popular in slash fanworks. In some cases, especially strong bromances might lead to accusations of queerbaiting by fans if the relationship never becomes romantic or sexual.
Bromance Parody Song
YouTube star Ryan Higa created a humorous music video about the concept of bromances.
Nothing really gay about it
Not that there's anything wrong with being gay (gay)
Shouldn't be ashamed or hide it
I love you in the most heterosexual way
If this is your first time commenting here, please read our Comment Policy. The main points:
- No deliberately malicious, abusive, or hateful comments, including but not limited to homophobia, transphobia, biphobia, acephobia, racism, misogyny, outing, doxing, or personal attacks.
- Include a trigger warning at the top of your comment if you are discussing potentially triggering topics such as gay bashing, rape, or suicide.