This page is for the character Deadpool (Wade Wilson). For the 2016 film, see Deadpool (2016).
Deadpool is variously described as "omnisexual" or "pansexual" and is famous for frequent sexual innuendos towards both female and male characters. However, his only serious love interests in both comics and film have been female, leading to accusations of queerbaiting by some fans.
Deadpool co-creator Fabian Niceiza became the subject of some controversy after getting into a discussion of Deadpool's sexuality with fans in which he stated that he has "been dogged with the DP sexuality questions for YEARS. It is a bit tiring." and that "DP brain cells are in CONSTANT FLUX. He can be gay one minute, hetero the next, etc. ALL ARE VALID."
Deadpool writer Gerry Duggan has described the character as "omnisexual" on Twitter and stated that he considers the character "ready and willing to do anything with a pulse."
In a November 2015 interview with Collider, director Tim Miller confirmed that Deadpool is pansexual in the film:
Interviewer: Can you talk about the tantalizing fireside photo that you guys put out. Does this mean it will be a very hypersexualized Deadpool?
Miller: Pansexual! I want that quoted. Pansexual Deadpool.
Star Ryan Reynolds has also confirmed that he is aware of the character's pansexuality and has expressed support for the possibility of a male love interest in future films. Variety reports:
On the red carpet at a New York screening for "Deadpool" on Monday, alongside hundreds of fans decked in red tights and masks, Reynolds said he's aware that Deadpool identifies as pansexual.
"I love that about Deadpool," said Reynolds. "I love that he can break any boundary. In the future, I hope we get to do that more," he said, alluding to his character's monogamous relationship with a woman ("Gotham" star Morena Baccarin).Reynolds added that he thought it would be "nice" for Deadpool to have a boyfriend at some point. "I certainly wouldn't be the guy standing in the way of that," Reynolds said. "That would be great."
Naturally, with such tentative evidence of Deadpool's sexuality in canon, fandom has picked up the slack, and Deadpool is a frequent subject of slash fanfiction. The most popular Deadpool ship is Spider-man/Deadpool (Peter Parker/Wade Wilson), which is commonly called Spideypool by fans and is tagged in more than 2200 fics on An Archive of Our Own as of April 2016.
- Deadpool's Sexuality
- Deadpool: Pansexual Antihero or Gay-Baiting Jokester?
- Deadpool: the pansexual superhero who has never had a non-heterosexual experience
- Remember When Deadpool Was Going to Be Marvel’s First Pansexual Movie Hero?
- Deadpool Is Straight! So Why the Misdirection?
- Deadpool is Pansexual But I'm Not Excited About It
If this is your first time commenting here, please read our Comment Policy. The main points:
- No deliberately malicious, abusive, or hateful comments, including but not limited to homophobia, transphobia, biphobia, acephobia, racism, misogyny, outing, doxing, or personal attacks.
- Include a trigger warning at the top of your comment if you are discussing potentially triggering topics such as gay bashing, rape, or suicide.