Lord of the Rings
The Lord of the Rings is a fantasy franchise based on a trilogy of novels written by J.R.R. Tolkien and published beginning in 1954. One of the most popular fantasy series ever written, it has been adapted several times to film, stage, and radio, with the most famous adaptation being the Academy Award winning film adaptations of Peter Jackson.
- Lord of the Rings (1978)
- Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
- Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
- Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
Despite the lack of LGBT characters, Tolkien's novels and their adaptations include numerous close platonic relationships between male characters and very few female characters of any sort. This has resulted in a large and active slash fandom revolving around the series, with the most popular ships including Legolas/Gimli and Frodo/Sam. The close relationships that developed between many cast members of the Jackson film adaptations also resulted in a lot of real person slash fiction.
If this is your first time commenting here, please read our Comment Policy. The main points:
- No deliberately malicious, abusive, or hateful comments, including but not limited to homophobia, transphobia, biphobia, acephobia, racism, misogyny, outing, doxing, or personal attacks.
- Include a trigger warning at the top of your comment if you are discussing potentially triggering topics such as gay bashing, rape, or suicide.