Max is a 1976 picture book about a baseball playing boy who accompanies his sister to her ballet class and ends up taking part.
- ALA Notable Children's Book
- International Reading Association Classroom Choice
- A Notable Children's Trade Book in the Field of Social Studies
Max is a crack baseball player. Saturday mornings he walks with his sister, Lisa, to her dancing school on his way to the park for his weekly game. One morning Max is early, and Lisa's teacher invites him to join the class. Max stretches at the barre. He struggles for a split. And before he knows it, he's having fun! Young ballplayers and ballet dancers will share Max's delight when he discovers that dance class is a great way to warm up for a home run.
If this is your first time commenting here, please read our Comment Policy. The main points:
- No deliberately malicious, abusive, or hateful comments, including but not limited to homophobia, transphobia, biphobia, acephobia, racism, misogyny, outing, doxing, or personal attacks.
- Include a trigger warning at the top of your comment if you are discussing potentially triggering topics such as gay bashing, rape, or suicide.